Wild Olive Shiraz Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
Love Organic free range chicken? Try this fantastic hearty recipe that is a favourite of our winemaker and is sure to be a hit with you family.
Wild Olive Organic Shiraz Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives
- 10 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 .5 Kg Free Range Organic Chicken cut into 6 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Red Onion coarsely sliced
- One bottle (750mL) Angove Wild Olive Organic Shiraz
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups peeled, seeded, chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Yellow capsicum, sliced lengthways
- 3/4 cup Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves as a garnish
- Place the garlic cloves in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. As soon as the water comes to a boil, drain the garlic and discard the water. Repeat. Set the garlic aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large heavy flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Add the chicken in a single layer, leaving space between the pieces. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until light golden on each side, 10 minutes total. Remove the chicken from the pan.
- Add onion to pan and cook until just softened, 5 minutes, and then remove and drain off excess fat.
- Increase the heat to high, add the wine to the pan, and reduce by approximately half, 10 minutes. Return the drumsticks and thighs to the pan, along with the cooked onion, garlic, chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste and capsicum. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Then add the breasts, olives and capers to the pan, and continue to cook, covered, until the juices from the chicken are clear, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter and drizzling excess sauce over the top. Garnish with parsley, and serve with polenta or mashed potatoes and in season steamed green vegetables.